My name is Alex, I have been making games for ten years now. I am constantly working on improving and expanding my skillset. I am naturally curious and will forget to sleep when I find a new topic the piques my interest. I have recenetly graduated from shawnee State University with a B.S. in Game and Simulation Engineering and have published my first mobile app, Toy Tanks on the Google Play Store.
Toy Tanks is my first published mobile game. I spent three weeks finishing the game (though this was split up over several months due to school) and programmed everything myself using Unity Engine. The game was inspired by Wii Tanks. It is a top down puzzle/shooter in which you navigate a tank through a maze while defeating enemies. The first week of developing this game was during fall break. In this week I managed to get a playable demo done for mobile and PC which I was able to present at my school’s game conference. The second week I spent on the game was during winter break. During this week I cleaned up some of the mechanics and built a level editor so that people could build and share their levels with each other (this is not in the final game). The last week of development was done over spring break. I spent this week polishing the game mechanics, adding a new enemy time, polishing the level design, and polishing the UI. I had a lot of fun building this game and I am very proud to have published a game.
This is a small demo I made of a casino bonus game. I spent about 6 hours working on this project, I did everything except for art which I found on the asset store and my friend Sam edited to fit the game better. I did some research on casino games and how they handle random number generation and found out they have a dedicated chip which constantly produces numbers even if they are not needed so I tried to replicate this by haveing a script produce random numbers every frame and then grabing the numbers from the script when I needed them. I enjoy UI work and UI animation so I enjoyed making this demo quite a bit.
This is a collection of my lab work for my optimization class. I have four separate labs here, each using intel intrinsics to perform several operations in parallel to speed up the application. All of these labs will have an optimized and unoptimized time listed if you run them. The first lab adjusts the brightness of an image, the second lab adds an echo to an audio file, the third lab doubles the tempo of an audio file by removing every other beat, and the last converts a TGA file to a BMP.
This is a snow trail I made in Unity; it took me about an hour and a half to make following some examples from Peer Play. I was inspired by playing the Last of Us Part II. I love this effect and I hope I will make a game where it can be used in the near future.
This is a networked chess game that was inspired by a lecture in my artificial intelligence class. The game is played on a doughnut shaped board and has all of the same rules as chess, save for a few exceptions. Pieces can move freely from what would be one side of the board to the other; there is no end to the board so there is no pawn promotion, and you are not allowed to castle your king. I spent two days working on this game, the first to get a local version of the game working, and a second to add the movement highlighting as well as the networking component. The networking is simple C# TCP socket programming and hosting a game does require port forwarding in most cases. I had a lot of fun working on this; it was my first networking experience outside of my education and I really enjoyed the freedom to do network programming with no constraints.
This game was a school game jam project, made with a team of eight people (five programmers and three artists). The topic of the game jam was "It's not a bug it's a feature.” Over dinner, the group came up with several ideas and landed on the idea that a restaurant was cooking bugs into the food on purpose. In the game, the player runs through a 2D platformer and kills and collects bugs. After the platformer level is complete, the player then plays a rhythm game where they chop up the bugs to add to the food. This game jam was a lot of fun; we used git to collaborate on this game, and with a lot of people being new to git, it was a good learning experience in that area. My role in this game’s production was to help any programmers that had any problems (as I was the most experienced with Unity Engine) as well as make sure everything (such as design changes, or which art assets were needed next) was communicated to everyone properly.